Saturday 19 February 2011

The Beginning of the End

Looking back, I sat by your side virtually from the beginning of your end, unknowing, my heart reaching out to you in pain.

As the day progressed, people come in and out, nurses, doctors and family alike, and through all of this there’s you and me, connected in silent understanding that I am there for you no matter what.

Patiently we wait for test after test yet in my inner mind I already know this is your dénouement, the closing act of the drama that was your life. Eventually I learnt that the prognosis is not good and after a few tears I prepare myself for the worst and set about orchestrating this final scene as you would have wished; the visitors, the newsfeed to family and friends and, above all, the gentle, loving words, the reassuring touches and hand-holding; the unerring devotion.

No comments: